The Ugandan authorities on Tuesday announced they had officially discharged the last Ebola case which after two negative tests were carried out 72 hours apart.
“The patients we are discharging today are safe and free of the disease. I urge their families and communities to receive and interact with them normally,” said Dr Jane Ruth Aceng Ocero, Uganda’s Minister of Health.
According to World Health Organisation, Uganda discharged eight patients who had been receiving treatment for Sudan virus disease – which belongs to the same family as Ebola virus disease.
“The discharging of the patients today not only marks an important milestone in our collective efforts to control the outbreak, but it also brings huge relief to their families and communities,” said Dr Kasonde Mwinga, WHO Representative in Uganda.
“While we welcome this positive step, we remain steadfastly on course, working with our partners to support the government halt this virus and end the outbreak.”
Uganda had on 30 January 2025 declaired the first case of Ebola outbreak triggering massive panic at borders in neihgbouring countries.
The discharged patients will continue to receive help, with psychosocial teams from WHO, Ministry of Health and partners working with them, their families and communities in the reintegration process. They will also undergo regular reviews in survivors clinics.
Sudan virus disease is a severe, often fatal illness affecting humans and other primates that is due to Orthoebolavirus sudanense (Sudan virus), a viral species belonging to the same genus of the virus causing Ebola virus disease.
Case fatality rates of Sudan virus disease have varied from 41% to 100% in past outbreaks.
There are no approved treatments or vaccines for Sudan virus. Early initiation of supportive treatment has been shown to significantly reduce deaths from Sudan virus disease.