Details emerging from the Niamey, Nigers capital indicate that the president of the country Mohamed Bazoum and his family are safe following a failed coup staged by elements of the Presidential guard.
According to a tweet published on Wednesday, July 26, 2023, the Presidency noted that despite this incident, “the President of the Republic and his family are doing well.”
The tweet also noted, “early this Wednesday morning, elements of the Presidential Guard (GP) expressed an anti-Republican mood and tried, without success, to seek the support of the National Armed Forces and the National Guard.”
The tweet added,”The army and the national guard are ready to attack the elements of the presidential guard involved in this coup plot if they do not return to better feelings.”
Witnesses from the capital told local media that early in the morning, roads leading to the Niger presidency were blocked by elements of the presidential guard. Some described he situation as an “attempted coup” against President Mohamed Bazoum.
Around 8:30 a.m. local time, the situation seemed to have calmed down near the presidential palace, according to witnesses on the spot.
However, the situation remained “confusing” according to a regional military source, who says no exchange of fire has been reported so far. The situation remains under close surveillance as the country remains on alert in the face of this alleged attempt to destabilize the power in place.