Language version

Crime

Rusesabagina And Sankara’s Cases To Be Merged

Advertisement

Published

on

Rwanda National Prosecution said on Monday that the two cases of Paul Rusesabagina and Nsabimana Callixte ‘Sankara’ were destined for a merger, Aimable Havugiyaremye the Prosecutor General told Journalists.

Rusesabagina who is on record for declaring war against the government in a YouTube video, is now battling charges of “terrorism”, complicity in murder, and forming or joining an armed group, among other charges.

Suspect Rusesabagina is the supreme leader of the opposition MRCD group which is said to have an armed wing, the FLN, which previously launched of attacks on Rwanda that Sankara took to international and social media claiming responsibility for.

Meanwhile, Rusesabagina’s name has repeatedly featured in Sankara’s ongoing terrorism case- court had heard allegations that the National Liberation Front (FLN) rebel group had received help from Zambia’s President Edgar Lungu because of his close friendship with Rusesabagina.

Rusesabagina is on record for publicly heading the National Liberation Front (FLN) and Rwandan Movement for Democratic Change (MRCD) and priding their actions of killing, looting, kidnapping and destroying infrastructure in communities surrounding Nyungwe National Park forest in Southern Rwanda.

Aimable Havugiyaremye , Prosecutor General speaking to Journalists on Monday when he announced the cases merger

Prosecutor General Explains the Merger

According to Aimable Havugiyaremye the Prosecutor General, “Paul Rusesabagina will be charged with various criminal offences, including terrorism, financing terrorism, recruiting child soldiers, kidnapping, arson, and forming terror groups. This is in connection with his leadership role in the armed group known as MRCD/FLN.”

The Prosecutor General told Journalists that Rwanda now has in custody 16 FLN fighters, including senior commanders, who are suspected of taking part in the attacks in southern Rwanda in 2018.

“They include Félicien Nsanzubukire (also known as Fred Irakiza), Anastase Munyaneza, and Jean-Chrétien Ndagijimana (son of the late FLN commander Laurent Ndagijimana, also known as Wilson Irategeka). A full list of the 16 fighters in custody will be provided to you,” he said on Monday during a press conference in the capital Kigali.

Technically, Prosecution said it intends to submit a joint indictment of these 16 defendants, together with Rusesabagina.

Prosecution said it will also file a request with the court to merge this case together with the case of Callixte Nsabimana and Herman Nsengimana.

“We believe that all 19 defendants should be tried together. This is a common practice, known as the principle of connectivity of offenses, which is provided for in our laws,” the Prosecutor General said.

According to the prosecutor General, a merger means that when a group of defendants is charged with the same crimes in the same place at the same time, it is in the interest of justice for court to consider the cases together.

Kagame Insists Rusesabagina Must Account For Rwandans He Killed

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

UK Sanctions Two Wealth Africans Linked To State Corruption

Published

on

The Vice President of Equatorial Guinea and a Zimbabwean business tycoon have been slammed with sanctions for enriching themselves at the expence of Citizens.

Early this week, the UK goverment said it had imposed sanctions on five foreign people who had been implicated in graft in their host countries.

The UK government said Teodoro Obiang Mangue, Equatorial Guinea’s vice president and the son of the nation’s incumbent leader, who was alleged to have the misappropriated state funds, entered into corrupt contracts and solicited bribes to fund a lavish lifestyle that was inconsistent with his official salary.

Extra details indicate that Teodoro Obiang is accused of buying a U$100 million mansion in Paris, France, a U$38 million private jet and a crystal-covered glove previously worn by pop singer Michael Jackson.

Meanwhile Zimbabwean Business tycoon, Kudakwashe Tagwirei, is accused of illicitly profiting when his company, Sakunda Holdings, redeemed Zimbabwean Treasury Bills for up to 10 times their official value.

The UK Government argues that Kudakwashe’s actions accelerated the deflation of Zimbabwe’s currency, increasing the price of food and other essentials, Raab’s office said. Kudakwashe has been linked to Zimbabwean President Emmerson Mnangagwa.

As part of punishment, the UK government has ordered asset freezes and travel bans “targeting individuals who have lined their own pockets at the expense of their citizens,” U.K. Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said in a statement on Thursday.

“The U.K. is committed to fighting the blight of corruption and holding those responsible for its corrosive effect to account,” the statement reads in part.

Targets Outside Africa

Colombian businessman Alex Nain Saab Moran, an ally of Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro, and his partner Alvaro Pulido Vargas, who allegedly benefitted from programs set up to provide affordable food and housing to poor Venezuelans.

The two profited from “improperly awarded contracts,” where goods were supplied at highly inflated prices, Raab’s office said.

The Venezuelan government vowed to keep denouncing the sanctions, saying in a statement late Thursday that they were immoral.

Nawfal Hammadi Al-Sultan the former governor of Iraq’s Nineveh province, who was accused of misappropriating public funds intended for reconstruction and support for civilians, and improperly awarding contracts and other state property.

He’s currently serving a five-year prison sentence in Iraq for wasting money on fictitious public works programs and other offenses.

Continue Reading

Crime

Congolese Journalist Stabbed, Severely Beaten

Published

on

The media fraternity in neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) are currently in panic after their colleague, a Radio Moto Butembo-beni journalist Evariste Mwenge Kalite was targeted by bandits carrying knives on Friday evening.

According to reliable sources on Friday at around 8:30 p.m. local time. The event happened at the ITAV stadium when this journalist was returning to its home in the same area.

According to Philippe Makomera, Director of this radio station, Mwenge was severely beaten and cut with a machete before these executioners took his cell phone from him.

The severely injured journalist was quickly transported to a health facility in Vutsundo but was bleeding profusely and was transferred to Matanda General Hospital for proper treatment.

Continue Reading

Crime

Rwanda Police Arrests Five In Operations Against Motorcycle Theft

Published

on

Rwanda National Police (RNP) has arrested five people belonging to the same racket suspected to be behind series of violent motorcycle theft in City of Kigali.

They were showed to the media on Wednesday, July 21, at the Police metropolitan headquarters in Remera, Gasabo District.

The ring include the trio of Claude Dusabimana alias Eric, 25, Alphonse Biziyaremye also known as Micheal, 37, and Jean Claude Rusigariye guising as Tuyizere; whose role was to identify and to steal motorcycles.

Others include Jean Claude Bitondeyiki, a broker, who was charged with searching for buyers, and Oscar Hagenimana, one of those who were buying stolen motorcycles.

One of the thieves, Alphonse Biziyaremye, a resident of Kanyinya Sector, Nyarugenge District, narrated that they would lure a taxi-moto operator to an ambush, assault him before disappearing with the motorcycle.

The theft operation, he added, would be executed either late in the evening or in the wee morning hours.

“We had different roles; Tuyizere Rusigariye was responsible for identifying luring the taxi-moto operator from Amashyirahamwe house in Nyabugogo to an ambush near Metafoam factory in Kigali Sector Nyarugenge District. Me and Dusabimana, would mount the ambush,” Biziyaremye explained.

He added that as soon as the motorcylist stopped at the agreed spot, Tuyizere would hit him on the head with an object.

Biziyaremye and Dusabimana would also jump out of the bush to help him in the assault before disappearing with the motorcycle leaving the victim unconcious.

This was also corroborated by Dusabimana, who added that after hitting the motorcyclist with an object and falling down, he would be shielded by Biziyaremye and Dusabimana to grab the moto and ride away.

According to Hagenimana, a motorcycle mechanic, he bought three motos from the trio. He added that they were connected to him by Bitondeyiki.

“I bought the first one from them for Frw270, 000, the second one at Frw280, 000 and paid them Frw290, 000 for the third moto. I was disassembling all the motorcycles, sell spare parts or use them to fix other motorcycles,” said Hagenimana.

The suspects were handed over to RIB for further investigations and legal process.

One of the victims identified as Jean Pierre Sayinzoga, a resident of Mageragere Sector in Nyarugenge District, narrated the ordeal.

“On May 29, I picked a passenger (Tuyizere) at Amashyirahamwe house in Nyabugogo, who told me that he was going to a place near Metafoam factory. As we approached the factory about 100 metres away, he told me to stop and at that moment he grabbed me and tried to strangle me,” Sayinzoga narrated.

“Two other people appeared from the bush and also started assaulting me targeting mainly the upper part of the body until I was unconcious and they left, probably thinking that I was dead.”

RNP spokesperson, Commissioner of Police (CP) John Bosco Kabera said that this was a two-month operation to identify and arrest people behind the series of violent motorcycle theft in Kigali.

“There has been several cases of motorcycle theft in Kigali as reported by victims. In response to these series of theft, Police arrested these five suspects, who were playing different roles, and recovered three out of the five motorcycles that were stolen through the same scenario,” CP Kabera said

He warned people, who think that Rwanda National Police is much taken by the current Covid-19 period and enforcement of the directives, and perceive this as an opportunity to commit crimes.

“Police enforces all laws and directives; if you think that there is a window for you to implement your evil plans, think twice and think wisely,” CP Kabera warned.

Real time information sharing on the theft or crime, he added, facilitates early response and timely successful operations.

Theft under article 166 of the law determining offences and penalties in general, attracts an imprisonment of between one and two years and a fine of not less than Frw1 million but not more than Frw2 million, a community service of six months or one of these penalties.

However, in article 167, the penalty doubles if the crime was committed at night or by more than one person.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Canal+ Advert

Canal+ Advert
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending