President Paul Kagame has expressed his solidarity with population affected by floods and the deadly landslides in various parts of Western, Southern and Northern Provinces.
“The President empresses his solidarity with those affected and wounded, as well as his deepest condolences to families of the victims of landslides and floods caused by heavy rains during the night of 2-3rd May, so far claiming the lives of 127 people,” reads in part a statement released by the Presidents office.
The statement adds that rescue interventions are ongoing in the most affected districts including; Rubavu, Ngororero, Nyabihu, Rutsiro, Karongi,Gakenke, Burera, Musanze, and Nyamagabe, in order to secure endangered citizens.
Interventions include, evacuation and temporary relocation of residents from affected high-risk areas while rains are ongoing.
“Teams are already deployed to affected districts to provide required assistance,” the statement said, adding that the command centre is actively coordinating emergency response. Relevant institutions will continuously liaise with districts to coordinate all required interventions.
Meanwhile, the Rwanda Meteorology Agency has warned that more rain is coming.
Francois Habitegeko, governor of Rwanda’s Western province, told reporters that a search for more victims was underway following heavy rain Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.
Strong rainstorms started last week, causing flooding and mudslides that swept away several houses across the country and left some roads inaccessible.
According to Ministry in Charge of Emergency Management, from January to April 20, weather-related disasters killed 60 people, destroyed more than 1,205 houses and damaged 2,000 hectares of land across Rwanda.