The Rwanda Standards Board (RSB) on Monday issued an ISO 9001 certification to Enterprise General Construction Company (EGC).
EGC Construction Company has been involved in various infrastructure projects around Kigali city including an extension wing at the Ministry of Finance home.
In more simple terms, this ISO 9001 is the international standard for a quality management system (“QMS”). In order to be certified to the ISO 9001 standard, a company must follow the requirements set forth in the ISO 9001 Standard.
This standard is used by organizations to demonstrate their ability to consistently provide products and services that meet customer and regulatory requirements and to demonstrate continuous improvement.
However, there are several different documents in the ISO 9000 family of standards, but ISO 9001 is the only standard in the 9000 series that requires certification.
Typically, an entire organization will seek certification, but the scope of the QMS can be tailored to improve performance at a particular facility or department.
Things you Should Know about ISO 9001 Certification
- It does NOT matter what size your organization is: 1 person or 1 million people
- It does NOT matter what industry you are in (service or manufacturing) – it can be a restaurant, consultancy, manufacturing company, government entity, etc. There are other standards based upon ISO 9001 for a few specific industries.
- It is NOT a standard for products. It does not define product quality. This is a process-based standard: you use it to control your processes, then your end product should meet the desired results.
- It is NOT a personal Standard – a person cannot get certified to ISO 9001, instead an organization or company becomes certified. Individuals, however, CAN become an ISO 9001 Certified Lead Auditor after a 5 day training course. This then allows them to audit other companies.
- There is no such thing as “ISO Certification” or “ISO 9000 Certification”, only ISO 9001 certification.
- It is NOT a membership group – An organization cannot “join” ISO 9001. To become ISO 9001 certified, your organization must
- Follow the steps to implement an ISO 9001 quality management system.