Language version

Central Africa

Belgium Considers Disarmament ‘Way Out Of Armed Conflicts In DRC’

Advertisement

Published

on

Tristan Terryn the political adviser to the Embassy of the Kingdom of Belgium in the DRC, observed on Friday November 6 that the Disarmament, Demobilization, Reintegration (DDR) mechanism is a way out of armed conflicts in the DRC.

His remarks came after holding discussions with Alain Kashindi Assumani the DRC’s National Coordinator of the Stabilization and Reconstruction Program (STAREC).

According to Terryn his country sees the return of a lasting peace in the parts affected by armed conflicts, particularly in the east of the country, through the DDR mechanism, but also by the creation of small jobs in favor of militiamen who agreed to respond to the call of President Félix Antoine Tshisekedi Tshilombo who had invited them to lay down their arms and participate in the DDR process.

“Belgium is also considering the creation of small jobs and certain income-generating activities for the benefit of local populations who are victims of several war pangs and other atrocities linked to the various armed conflicts in the DRC”, he said.

The UN through the stabilisation mission in DRC , Monusco, has tried to stabilise the country for the past 20 years with a 15,000-strong peacekeeping force but has miserably failed.

An estimated 160 rebel groups with a total of more than 20,000 fighters are still active in the DRC’s east. The motives for the various groups are not always clear, although it is believed they are mostly over control of land or minerals such as gold and cobalt.

President Felix Tshisekedi said in June last year that his government had devised a plan for the “complete eradication” of foreign armed groups, in collaboration with Monusco and neighbouring countries affected by the violence, particularly Uganda and Rwanda.

The STAREC Program was created by presidential decree – its essential mission is the stabilization and reconstruction of the DRC.

STAREC was primarily designed for armed conflict-affected areas, especially in eastern DRC. It was launched by the Congolese Government, with the support of the United Nations system and development technical partners. Its main goal has been to restore State authority in the East which is the region that is the most fragile and most exposed to conflicts.

The plan works towards the rehabilitation of administrative infrastructure, and is also involved in the fight against poverty and impunity regarding the numerous exactions and violations committed in this part of the country.

Congolese Parliament Questions Tshisekedi’s Project Against Militia

Advertisement
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Pingback: Belgium Considers Disarmament ‘Way Out Of Armed Conflicts In DRC’ – Taarifa Rwanda - AfricaRebel.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Central Africa

New Armed Group In UPDF Uniform Accused Of Planning Attacks in DRC

Published

on

Intelligence details have claimed there is an eminent attack planned against the Congolese population in the areas recently secured by the joint armies of DRC and Uganda in Beni and Ituri regions.

“The information gathered indicates that these criminals organized in an armed group want to sully the good reputation of the UPDF and the FARDC and to create doubt among the population of eastern DRC. In their projection, they want to harm the good relations existing between the UPDF and the FARDC, and the local population who have welcomed and supported the UPDF and the FARDC since the launch of the operation shuja against the ADF last year,” a joint statement of the two armies reads in part.

According to both forces, these criminals are camouflaging themselves behind a uniform similar to that of the Ugandan army in an attempt to make it appear that the army has turned on those it is committed to protecting.

“Using camouflage and uniforms similar to those of the UPDF, this criminal faction planned to commit atrocities by massacring innocent civilians with the aim of making it appear that the UPDF had turned against the people it and the FARDC are committed to protecting. The ultimate goal is to destabilize the region and discredit the UPDF and the FARDC to rekindle the stigma in public opinion,” the two armies said.

In addition, the two armed forces reassure the public that they will not allow themselves to be distracted or diverted from their missions to definitively neutralize the enemy before specifying that in the conduct of operations, they respect human rights, the law International humanitarian and rules of engagement.

Continue Reading

Central Africa

Goma Mayor Orders Public Transport Vehicles to Paint Yellow

Published

on

Drivers of public transport buses and taxis in Goma city in DRC have gone on strike in protest against an order to paint their vehicles yello.

According to sources that spoke to Taarifa, since the morning of Monday, January 10, buses providing public transport and car taxis have not been visible in the arteries of Goma.

The mayor of the city of Goma, Commissioner Kabeya Makosa François, demands that all public transport vehicles be painted yellow. According to him, this is to help secure Goma city.

The protests have affected the lives of hundreds of thousands of residents.

Workers, pupils, schoolchildren and students gathered in the bus shelters to wait in vain for transport. The taxi drivers in town took the opportunity to double the price of the ride, forcing several residents to walk on foot to their respective destinations.

For some drivers, the measure is inappropriate because “the mayor was going to start by repainting the buses of the SPT (Provincial Transport Company) given that their vehicles are not from the government”, a bus driver said.

The drivers gathered within the association of drivers of Congo section of North Kivu, in the city of Goma, met on the morning of Monday at the Katindo terminus to discuss the rest of their protest movement.

Continue Reading

Central Africa

Sudanese Army Chief Dismisses Six Ambassadors

Published

on

General Commander of the Sudanese Armed Forces, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, on Wednesday issued a decision sucking Sudanese ambassadors to six countries, the official Sudan TV reported.

The decision, announced late on Wednesday on state media, included Sudan’s ambassadors to the United States, the European Union, China, Qatar, France and the head of the country’s mission to the Swiss city of Geneva, apparently over their rejection of the military takeover, Aljazeera said..

On Monday, Al-Burhan declared a state of emergency across the country, dissolved the transitional Sovereign Council and the government, and relieved the state governors.

Demonstrators have taken to the street in Khartoum, rejecting the measures announced by Al-Burhan and demanding a civilian government. Since the announcement of foiling a coup attempt on Sept. 21, the differences between the military and the transitional government have continued to escalate.

Continue Reading

Trending