Security organs are on a manhunt to find what they described as “unknown assailants” who on the night of Friday October 4, carried out an attack in Kinigi sector of Musanze District, targeting unarmed local residents and killing least eight individuals.
It is confirmed that 18 were injured during the attack.
The attack occurred around midnight, according to a statement from the Rwanda National Police.
Police said assailants were armed with crude weapons and guns.
Among the eight individuals killed, six were killed using crude weapons while the other two were shot.
A source that could not be independently verified by Taarifa informed the Chronicles that the attack was perpetuated by FDLR that crossed the border from neighboring DR Congo.
Police Spokesperson, CP JB Kabera told Taarifa on Saturday afternoon that security services quickly intervened and restored security.
He said the area is calm and safe.
The injured were taken to Ruhengeri Hospital. The identity of those killed and the injured is yet to be known.
Survivors told The New Times if the was no army and police intervention more people would have died.
It is thus hard to ascertain if those killed and those injured are all civilians.
In the photo below, obtained from an unverified source, these residents were earlier in the day running towards the town of Musanze where it is more secure.
The photo on top of the story was also obtained from the source.
Meanwhile, the hospital told The New Times that those injured were gradually recovering.
CP Kabera said that the assailants were not captured or killed, but security services are actively pursuing them.
Such attacks were last carried out on Rwandan territory in December 2018, in Busasamana Sector Rubavu District by FDLR elements, suffering four casualties by the Rwanda Defense Forces.
In a statement released after the attack, Rwanda Development Board said that “tourism services continue to operate normally in the Volcanoes National Park and all other National Parks and attractions in Rwanda … All visitors to Volcanoes National Park were and continue to be safe.”
RDB’s statement is crucial because Kinigi is Rwanda’s touristic hotspot with high-end hotels and is home to the gorillas. The assurance is too important at the moment.
Apart from the breid Police statement, there are a bunch of answered questions.
1. Where did these assailants come from?
2. When security organs intervened, did they shoot at them? Could they have killed anyone? If no, how did they repulse them without shooting at them? If yes, how did they miss a shot at any of them?
3. If these assailants can cross the border, does this mean our border is insecure?
4. If the assailants are from within, who are they? How did they acquire guns?
5. We have night patrols called Inkeragutabra, where were they during the attacks?
6. Why hasn’t the Police released the names and identities of the deceased and those injured?
7. No one has claimed the attack yet, why and who are they, what do they want?
8. Could it really be FDLR or a bunch of bandits with an unknown agenda?
9. Why would they carry out the attack at such a critical moment of Rwanda Day? What message were they sending?
10. Could they have been annihilated by the army and a communication to be made late?
Neither the Police nor the army has released any information to the above questions.
However, a trusted source told Taarifa that more details could come out on Sunday morning.
Meanwhile, sources have told Taarifa that security sources are aware of a campaign by enemies of the state to carry out acts that will cause unrest and scare visitors to Rwanda.