An Extraordinary Cabinet Meeting chaired by President Paul Kagame last evening met and approved several draft laws and made some appointments into government.
The Cabinet Meeting was also briefed on:
– Strengthening the Quality of Teacher Training Colleges (TTCs) and Demonstration Schools;
– Change of School Calendar;
– Academia-Industry linkage for Workforce Learning and Practical Training;
– Establishment of Rwanda Coding Academy, a TVET-General Education Hybridschool for Advanced Diploma in Software Engineering/Programming;
– Establishment of a comprehensive Assessment at all levels of Basic Education;
– Commemoration of the 25th Heroes’ Day;
– Hepatitis C Elimination;
– Urban water tariff.
3. The Cabinet Meeting approved the following policies, programs and strategies:
– 10% salary increment for both primary and secondary schools teachers in public and government aided schools with effect from March 2019;
– Administering Mandatory Standardized English Language Tests (SELT) for students and teaching staff at all levels of education excluding pre-primary and lower-primary;
– Improving Teacher Management: recruitment, retention, development and monitoring;
– Special Needs and Inclusive Education Policy;
– Teaching Career Path Advancement;
– RDB to enter in Concession and implementation Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Rwanda and Gasmeth Energy Ltd to extract methane gas (CH4) from Lake Kivu;
– RDB to enter in Concession Agreement between Rwanda Development Board (RDB) and Imizi Ecotourism Development Ltd. for conservation and tourism management in Gishwati-Mukura;
– MINAGRI to enter in Joint Venture Agreement between the Government of Rwanda and NETAFIM Ltd. from Israel for the development of the infrastructure for a commercial farming in Gabiro Agribusiness Hub Project (GAHP);
– Twenty-five (25) applications for Mineral and Quarry licenses;
– National Policy of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
4. The Cabinet Meeting approved the following Draft Laws:
– Draft Law modifying and complementing Law n° 38 /2018 of 29/06/2018 determining the State Finances for the 2018/2019 Fiscal Year;
– Draft Law approving the ratification of the Grant Agreement signed at Tokyo, Japan on 09 January 2019, between the Government of the Republic of Rwanda and the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), relating to the Grant of three billion and one hundred and ninety-one million Japanese Yen (JPY 3,191,000,000) for the project for strengthening Nzove-Ntora Principal water transmission pipeline in the Kigali City;
– Draft Law approving the ratification of the Financing Agreement signed in Kigali, Rwanda, on 12th December 2018, between the Republic of Rwanda and the International Development Association (IDA), relating to the Credit of one hundred and twenty-nine million and six hundred thousand Euros (EUR 129,600,000) for Housing Finance Project;
– Draft Law approving the ratification of the Agreement signed at Dubai, United Arab Emirates, on 01/11/2017, between the Republic of Rwanda and the United Arab Emirates, for the avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income;
– Draft Law approving the ratification of the Agreement signed at Buenos Aires, Argentina, on 01/12/2018, between the Republic of Rwanda and the Republic of Turkey, for the avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income;
– Draft Law relating to prohibition of manufacturing, use and sale of single use plastic items;
– Draft Law approving the ratification of the Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Rwanda and the Government the State of Qatar on the reciprocal promotion and protection of investments.
5. The Cabinet Meeting approved the following Orders:
– Presidential Order issuing a new banknote of One Thousand Rwandan Francs (1000 FRW) with legal tender in Rwanda;
– Presidential Order issuing a new banknote of Five Hundred Rwandan Francs (500 FRW) with legal tender in Rwanda;
– Presidential Order determining modalities for consolidation of Memorial sites of Genocide against Tutsi;
– Presidential Order promoting 618 Junior Officers of Rwanda National Police;
– Presidential Order granting retirement to SEMAFARA NTAGANDA John who was Director General of Rwanda Meteorology Agency (METEO RWANDA);
– Prime Minister’s Order granting retirement to MUKAYIRANGA Pélagie who was the Director of Administration and Finance Unit in the Rwanda Public Procurement Authority (RPPA);
– Prime Minister’s Order determining the Supervising Authority of Rwanda Food and Drugs Authority;
– Prime Minister’s Order appointing Lt. Col. Bernard RUGAMBA HATEGEKIMANA as Vice President of the Military High Court and Lt. Col. Innocent NKUBANA as a Judge of Military High Court;
– Prime Minister’s Order granting a leave of absence for a non-specific period to Mr. HABUMUREMYI Emmanuel who was Advisor to the Minister of ICT and Innovation (MINICT);
– Prime Minister’s Order relieving from duties to Mrs. MUTAMBA AHUMUZA Elizabeth who was a Head of Department in Rwanda Governance Board (RGB);
– Ministerial Order determining health insurance contribution for a retiree insured by the institution in charge of Military Medical Insurance (MMI);
– Ministerial Order on commemoration of Genocide against Tutsi;
– Ministerial Order establishing a list of narcotic drugs and their categorization;
– Ministerial Order promoting 3,767 Non-Commissioned Officers and LowRanking Police Officers of Rwanda National Police.
6. The Cabinet Meeting approved the agrément of the following Ambassadors designated to represent their respective countries to Rwanda:
– Mr. RON ADAM: Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the State of Israel to the Republic of Rwanda with residence in Kigali;
– Ms. FRANCISCA PEDROS CARRETERO: Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Spain to the Republic of Rwanda with residence in Dar es Salaam;
– Mr. WILLIAM JOHN CARLOS: Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Ireland to the Republic of Rwanda with residence in Kampala.
7. The Cabinet Meeting made the following appointments:
IN THE NATIONAL BANK OF RWANDA
– Mr. RWANGOMBWA John: Governor (renewal of his term office).
IN GENDER MONITORING OFFICE (GMO)
– Mrs RWABUHIHI Rose: Chief Gender Monitor (renewal of her term office).
IN RWANDA NATIONAL INVESTMENT TRUST (RNIT)
– Mr. GATERA SEBAGABO Jonathan: Director General.
IN NATIONAL ITORERO COMMISSION
– Lt. Col. MIGAMBI MUNGAMBA Désiré: Vice Chairman.
IN RWANDA METEOROLOGY AGENCY (RMA)
– Mr. GAHIGI Aimable: Director General.
IN RWANDA INVESTIGATION BUREAU (RIB)
a) High Council
– Mr. BUSINGYE Johnston, Minister of Justice/Attorney General, Chairperson;
– Mr. MUTANGANA Jean Bosco, Prosecutor General, Vice Chairperson;
– Col. KIBEZI Ruhunga Jeannot, Secretary General of Rwanda Investigation Bureau/RIB, Secretary;
– Ms GASHUMBA Jeanne Pauline;
– Ms KAWERA Marie Sylvie;
– CP MUNYAMBO Bruce;
– Ms KARUGU Céline.
b) Heads of Departments/Divisions
– Mr. MURIGO Morris: Head of Inspection and Compliance Department;
– Mr. GATABAZI Jean de Dieu: Head of Interpol and Cooperation Department;
– Dr. MURANGIRA B. Thierry: Reasearch and Analysis Division Manager;
– Ms KAYIREBWA Christine: Specialised Crimes Division Manager;
– Mr. KABASHA Eugène: Intelligence Collection Division Manager;
– Mr. KABARE Jean de Dieu: General Crimes against State Security and People Division Manager;
– Mr. GAHIGI Bosco: Intelligence Analysis Division Manager;
– Ms SEZIBERA Liberat: Counter-Terrorism Division Manager;
– Mr. IYAMUREMYE Richard: Economic and Financial Crimes;
– Ms MUREKATETE Diane: Investigation Support Division Manager;
– Ms MUREBWAYIRE Shafiga: Gender Based Violence Crimes Division Manager;
– Mr. AKILIMALI SHEMA: Cybercrimes Division Manager.
IN RWANDA FORENSIC LABORATORY
– Ms KABAYIZA UWANTEGE Carolina: Biology Division Manager;
– Dr. NZEYUMWAMI KABERA Justin: Chemistry Division Manager;
– Dr. NSHINGABIGWI Emmanuel: Physical Evidence Division Manager;
– SP Dr. HIGIRO Valens: Forensic Medecine Division Manager;
– Mr. HABYARIMANA Ildephonse: Corporate Services Division Manager.
IN RWANDA FOOD AND DRUG AUTHORITY
Board of Directors
– Dr. KARITA Etienne, Chairperson,
– Dr. MUKANTWALI Christine, Vice Chairperson;
– Ms AKLILLU Eleni;
– Dr. CHABNER Bruce;
– Dr. KAYIHURA Didas;
– Dr. RUHARA MURINDABIGWI Charles;
– Ms UMURUNGI Providence.
IN RWANDA MILITARY HOSPITAL (RMH)
Board of Directors
– Dr. MAZARATI Jean Baptiste, Chairperson;
– Ms TUMUSENGE Janet, Vice Chairperson;
– Dr. MUKABALISA Peace;
– Col. Dr. KAGIMBANA Jean Chrysostome;
– ACP NKURANGA Lynder;
– Maj. KABERA Simon;
– Cpt BINENTERI Egide.
IN RWANDA INFORMATION SOCIETY AUTHORITY (RISA)
Board of Directors
– Ms MUKAMURENZI Solange, Chairperson ;
– Mr. HATEGEKA Emmanuel, Vice Chairperson;
– Dr. Ing. KABIRI Charles;
– Ms BWANAKWELI Chantal;
– Ms MBABAZI Judith;
– Mr. MUGISHA Francis;
– Mr. MUHIRE Louis Antoine.
IN UNIVERSITY OF RWANDA (UR)
Board of Directors
– Prof. DAVENPORT Paul, Chairperson;
– Dr. KARUSISI Diane Ngendo, Vice Chairperson;
– Dr. QUIRION Remi;
– Ms UWAMARIYA Josephine Irene;
– Dr. NIYIKIZA Clet;
– Ms MUNEZERO Jeanne;
– Dr. TWAGIRA Elias.
IN RWANDA ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY (REMA)
a) Board of Directors
– Dr. MUCYO Sylvie, Chairperson;
– Mr. BARAKABUYE NSENGIYUMVA, Vice Chairperson;
– Mr. NIYONZIMA Steven;
– Mr. KAYITARE Anecto;
– Dr. TURAMWISHIMIYE M. Rose;
– Ms MUREBWAYIRE Odette;
– Dr. TSINDA Aimé.
b) Mr. HAKUZIMANA Herman: Director of Climate Change and International Obligations Unit.
IN RWANDA LAND MANAGEMENT & USE AUTHORITY (RLMUA)
Board of Directors
– Mr. NTABANA Innocent, Chairperson;
– Ms NGANGURE Kabega Winifred, Vice Chairperson;
– Mr. BOSENIBAMWE Aimé;
– Mr. RUMAZIMINSI Ntagwabira Seraphin;
– Ms IKIRIZA Ruth; – Dr. MUREKEZI Charles;
– Ms NSINGA Flora.
IN THE SUPREME COURT (SC)
– Ms. MUREKATETE KANGEYO Dorothée: Director of Human Resource and Administration Unit;
– Mr. TUYISHIME Jean Paul: Director of Finance Unit.
IN THE MINISTRY OF EDUCATION (MINEDUC)
– Ms. MULEEBWA Winfred: Director of Human Resource and Administration Unit;
– Mr. NSENGIYUMVA Emmanuel: Director of School Infrastructure Norms and Standard Unit.
IN THE MINISTRY OF PUBLIC SERVICE AND LABOUR (MIFOTRA)
– Mr. MUDAHERANWA Laurent: Director of Administration and Finance Unit.
IN THE RWANDA NATIONAL COMMISSION FOR THE UNITED NATIONS EDUCATIONAL, SCIENTIFIC AND CULTURAL ORGANIZATION (NCRU)
– Mr. MVUNABANDI Dominique: Director of Sciences and Technology Unit.
IN RWANDA EDUCATION BOARD/REB
– Mr. NGOGA Eugène Fixer: Director of Career Guidance and Counseling Unit;
– Mr. RUTAYOMBA Florian: Director of Arts and Humanities Subjects Unit;
– Mr. MAZIMPAKA Désiré: Director of Examination Management Unit;
– Mr. BAYINGANA Eugène: Director of Finance Unit;
– Mr. KABAGAMBA Aphrodis: Director of Learning Devices and Cloud Solution Unit;
– Ms. KAYITESI Alice: Director of Education Resources and Training Materials Unit;
– Mr. MUGABO Clément: Director of Planning and Development Unit.
IN THE LOCAL ADMINISTRATIVE ENTITIES DEVELOPMENT AGENCY (LODA)
– Ms. KAMBOGO Marcelle: Director of Management Information System (MIS) Unit.
– The Minister of Agriculture and Animal Resources informed the Cabinet that Rwanda will be hosting the 17th African fine Coffees Conference and Exhibition planned to be held from 13-15 February 2019 at Kigali Convention Centre. The theme of the event is ‘’Specialty Coffees at the Heart of Africa’’.
– The Minister of Sports and Culture informed the Cabinet that:
a) From January 21st to 27th 2019, 6 cyclists from the National Cycling Team are participating in the 14th Edition of the “La Tropicale Amissa Bongo”, International Cycling race in the Republic of Gabon;
b) From 4th to 9th February 2019, 6 cyclists from the Rwanda’s U-23 cycling Team will join other national and professional teams in the “Tour de l’Espoir” cycling race to be held in Cameroon;
c) From 24th February to 3rd March 2019, Rwanda will host “Tour du Rwanda 2019” for its 1st edition in category 2.1. Rwanda will welcome 17 teams from 18 nations with 85 riders representing 4 continents. The race will last 8 days and will cover 953, 6 Km.
– The Minister of Youth informed the Cabinet on “Rubyiruko Menya Amateka Yawe Program” that started on 17th January 2019 and will conclude on 7th March, 2019. This program is organized by MINIYOUTH, in collaboration with MINALOC, CNLG, RDF and RNP to nurture the values of Patriotism, Heroism, Unity and Tolerance embedded in the culture and history of Rwanda in Youth.
– The Minister of Gender and Family Promotion informed the Cabinet that Rwanda will celebrate the International Women’s Day (IWD) on March 8th, 2019. The theme for this year is: “Together, let’s build a safe Family– Dufatane Urunana Twubake Umuryango Utekanye. At the national level, the celebration will be held in Nyamasheke District, Kanjongo Sector, Kigoya Cell, Kigugu Village.
– The Minister of ICT and Innovation informed the Cabinet that the Government of Rwanda is organizing the 5th Edition of Transform Africa Summit 2019 from 7th to 10th May 2019. The theme for this year is “Boosting Africa’s Digital Economy”. The summit will feature the second Transform Africa Economic Forum on 7th May 2019 with a targeted audience of business leaders and high net worth investors on the topic of “Start –up Africa”.
– The Minister of Environment informed the Cabinet about the High-level event organized to celebrate the entry into force of the Kigali Amendment to the Montreal Protocol adopted at Kigali on 16th October 2016 and which was effected on 1st January2019 after ratification by 65 countries. The celebration event is planned to take place at Marriot Hotel, Kigali on 28th January 2019.