The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Rwanda has signed an agreement with the Ministry of Local Government to support the “Local Capacity Building Strategy Development and Implementation”, through the project entitled “Deepening Democracy through Strengthening Citizen Participation and Accountable Governance II (DDAG)”.
The Agreement was signed by Local Government Minister Prof. Shyaka Anastase and Stephen Rodriques, UNDP/Rwanda Resident Representative.
All activities planned within the framework of the agreement will be spearheaded by MINALOC within the course of five-year period.
On the other hand, UNDP will provide the financial and technical support, worth US$1 Million.
Minister Shyaka said that this support will be invested in seven vulnerable districts which have many poor families, human security issues and higher rate of malnutrition among others including Huye as a Secondary City District with high rate of stunting.
These include Burera, Gicumbi, Gisagara, Huye, Nyaruguru, Ngororero, Nyamasheke and Rutsiro.
“We believe that building the capacity of local leaders and citizens to own and ably contribute to the socio-economic transformation, supporting community innovations and initiatives for social protection will all bring more transformative results. We thank UNDP for this financial support”, he said.
Rodriques said that the idea of this support is not to substitute what the government of Rwanda and other partners are doing but to foster and complement the existing efforts.
The government will continue to invest in those priority districts.
The support is a strategic investment to strengthen capacity in some critical areas so that we can leverage effects. Following the identification of some critical areas by the Ministry, the support comes as an investment to facilitate the acceleration of development results”, Rodriques said.
Under this Agreement, MINALOC will execute following activities:
- Local Government (LG) Capacity Building plan and strategy development,
- Building the capacity of Local Government to drive local transformation,
- Capacity Building for LG Leadership (specific training for leading high-performance teams and participatory development),
- Support local transformative initiative for social protection,
- Spur innovation culture through community innovations competition,
- Organize and conduct policy dialogues and citizens mobilization,
- Facilitation of Proximity Coaching Volunteers at Cell level