Connect with us

Taarifa Rwanda

Genocide Survivor Dies After Multiple Death Threats

National

Genocide Survivor Dies After Multiple Death Threats

Rwanda Investigations Bureau (RIB) has arrested a suspect in connection with an untimely death of a Genocide survivor that had previously informed various authorities that his life was in danger.

Cyril Habyarimana was a father of two girls and had been living in Shyogwe sector, Muhanga district.

Reports indicate that Habyarimana was the only person in his family that survived the 1994 genocide against Tutsi which claimed a million lives.

However, when Gacaca community courts were set up across the country to try more than a million perpetrators, Habyarimana was a vital witness in pinning dozens of perpetrators tried in the current Kiyumba sector.

Other genocide survivors told media that during commemoration period, Habyarimana always visited the sites at which all his family was decimated. He always returned to honour their lives.

During this Year’s commemoration, Habyarimana also visited the sites where his family members were all murdered. However, he was intimidated by some people there who threatened him that he will very soon follow his relatives.

These threats were not the first time. Habyarimana has for many years received death threats from relatives of genocide convicts that he pinned during the Gacaca community court hearings and trials.

Habyarimana realized that the threats had become so much and decided to write to all security agencies including IBUKA – the umbrella body for genocide survivors organisations. He informed them that he needed protection since his life was in danger.

Meanwhile, on May 23rd, Habyarimana was threatened again by a man in Kiyumba sector who also openly told Habyarimana that very soon they will force him to follow is relatives that died during the Genocide against Tutsi.

Rwanda Investigations Bureau immidiately arrested the suspect.

At the beginning of last week, Habyarimana attended a wedding ceremony of a friend at Kiyumba sector. He returned home after the ceremony but on Tuesday he did not feel well and died on Wednesday (June 6th).

Rudasingwa Jean Bosco the IBUKA representative in Muhanga district told reporters that several people always wanted to end Habyarimana’s life to the extent that the deceased had alerted authorities.

Habyarimana’s neighbours suspect that he may have been poisoned at the wedding ceremony.

However, Modeste Mbabazi the RIB spokesperson said Habyarimana’s body is currently undergoing an autopsy to ascertain the cause of his death.

______________

Umuseke

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Comment

More in National

To Top