Rwanda Defence Force is slated to handover Congolese Army casualities and ammunition captured during a border clash on Tuesday. Rwandan Army told AP it killed three Congolese soldiers during the exchange of gun fire.
A 20-man team of the Expanded Joint Verification Mechanism (EJVM) on Thursday arrived at the Rwanda-DRC border to assess the situation and mediate.
The DRC Army had earlier said that it opened fire against suspected M23 rebels inside the DRC territory only to realize they were hitting Rwandan forces.
However, the RDF insists they defended their positions from Rwanda when the Congolese troops had crossed over to attack.
Today the two sides are again meeting the Expanded Joint Verification Mechanism (EJVM) team.
“RDF just briefed EJVM on facts of FARDC violation of Rwanda territory and attack on RDF position in Musanze District, Shingiro Sector,” the Rwanda Defence Force said in a tweet.
In another tweet, “RDF’s much sought ground verification and handover of casualties, weapons/ammunitions to follow tomorrow. RDF defended its positions from Rwanda and not DRC as it is being falsely claimed,” RDF said.