The Democratic Republic of Congo has revealed that 12 people died in a military cargo plane that crushed after take off in Kinshasa on Saturday.
A technical problem is suspected for the crash, shortly after takeoff from Kinshasa airport of cargo aircraft bound for Bukavu.
The government’s spokesperson, Lambert Mende, confirmed the reports of the crash of the Antonov cargo plane after takeoff from Ndjili International Airport.
Crispin Atama Tabe, Congo’s defence minister, said that “All 12 members of the crew died.”
Some reports had earlier indicated that at least 10 people were on the plane bound for Bukavu in eastern Congo when it crashed in Nasilah, about 100 metres from the centre of Kinshasa.
Georges Tabora, director of Ndjili International Airport, said in a statement that “the aircraft experienced a technical problem shortly after takeoff and lost radio contact with the control tower.”
“There were no passengers traveling at the time of the crash”, he added.