The White House has refuted claims by North Korea as “absurd.” This comes after North Korean foreign minister Ri Yong-ho, accused US of declaring war.
Through its spokeswoman,Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the white house says it had “not declared war against North Korea.
Minister Yong-ho had earlier said that “The whole world should clearly remember it was the US who first declared war on our country.”
This was in response to Trump’s tweet on Sunday which warned that the regime’s leaders “won’t be around much longer”.
BBC reports that Pentagon spokesman Col Robert Manning reacted by saying: “If North Korea does not stop their provocative actions, you know, we will make sure that we provide options to the president to deal with North Korea.”
Trump, while addressing the UN general assembly, warned that if the US and its allies were attacked, North Korea would be “totally destroyed.”
Yong-hi told reporters that UN and the internationally community do not expect the current exchange of words between the two countries to turn into “real action.”
He had earlier announced that “Since the United States declared war on our country, we will have every right to make counter-measures,
including the right to shoot down United States strategic bombers even when they are not yet inside the airspace border of our country.”
“The question of who won’t be around much longer will be answered then,”he added.