Dozens of genocide suspects have not yet been apprehended to face trial and the government of Rwanda says it has affected the process of bringing justice to the victims.
While addressing journalists earlier on Tuesday Morning, Foreign Affairs Minister Louise Mushikiwabo said, “There are still many genocide perpetrators outside the country who have not yet been tried.”
The Minister was responding to concerns raised about some Burundians who participated in the genocide against the Tutsi in 1994 and have not been pursued and brought to book.
She said the main challenge the government of Rwanda faces is of knowing where those Burundians are located. She however explained that “the process of collecting facts and addresses is still going on.”
Mushikiwabo said the genocide crimes don’t expire.
Burundian refugees are said to have taken part in the killing of Tutsis in many different parts of the country including the areas of Nyakizu, Rilima in Bugesera, Mugina in Kamonyi, Kinazi and Ntongwe in Ruhango, Gisagara, and others.
Earlier on February 15, 2017, the National Prosecutor, Jean Bosco Mutangana also talked about the same issue. He said that there is a great need of collaboration between Rwanda and Burundi but Rwanda already has already submitted the names of the suspects.
On April 7, Rwanda begins a commemoration period for the victims of the genocide, 23 years later, now.